1 Corinthians 1:10 – “…be of one mind, united in thought and purpose.”
I love this phrase when talking about a team, a family, a staff, etc. I am in the middle of writing an overview of our program that will hopefully capture, once and for all, a structure or manual for how we work with young athletes. It is based on the following:
- A umbrella like philosophy that paints a picture, or captures the essence of what we do and why.
- A neatly organized system that visually shows how we implement our philosophy in the day-to-day and year-to-year program design.
- Detailed progressions that focus in on exactly how we progress a player through our program.
- A checks and balances testing structure that identifies weakness and systematically leverages a players strengths to elevate their weaker qualities.
- A seasonal plan that will introduce, build and peak key categories throughout each season so that all our players (although different) are working towards a similar goal in a similar time frame.
It is important that my staff and my athletes are all on the same page with this. Philosophically, we need to see the big picture and agree that we are all reading from the same road map. We need to know where we are going and the best way to get there. If anyone of our staff or players is not on board with our philosophy, system, progressions, testing or seasonal plan, we will start to go off on different roads. The last thing we want to hear from our internal GPS is that we need to “reroute” or “recalculate” or plan. We don’t need any U-Turns!
Of course we will occasionally make a wrong turn, but if we all have the same route and destination typed into the GPS we know very quickly that we have made a mistake and need to get back on track. The biggest mistake we can make is to not have a plan. If we don’t know where we are going, then any road will do. Coaches and players that don’t have a plan will very quickly find themselves lost and confused.
I will be presenting this system, and giving examples, as to how we progress it at the NSCA National Conference this July. Hope to see some of you there, and I would love to discuss our ideas with you between now and then.
For more on our SoccerFIT Speed/Agility Program click HERE.